Strep throat is a contagious disease caused by the infection with a streptococcus pyogenes bacteria and it mostly affects children between the age 5 and 15, although anyone can contract the infection and get strep throat. This condition affects the tonsils that become red and swollen, the lymph nodes will also start to swell and there will be tiny red dots on the back of the roof of the mouth. Once you notice any of these signs, you should consult a doctor and start a treatment right away.
The symptoms of strep throat
Given that strep throat is highly contagious and you can contract it by coming into contact with droplets coming from a person who has it and is sneezing or coughing, the symptoms will start to appear in a few days and you will start to feel sick, you will have fever, throat pain, difficulties in swallowing, headache and nausea. The general discomfort will make you feel weak and most likely you will stay in bed. The doctor will recommend antibiotics that are designed to lower the fever and fight the main cause, which is the infection, However, there are also some home remedies that can help you soothe the sore throat and will ease the pain.
Strep throat home remedies
- Vitamin C is a great ally in fighting infections and you can rely on it when you want to treat strep throat, combat the pain and increase the overall health. 1.000 mg of good vitamin C three times a day will offer intense pain relief and will make you feel better.
- The apple cider vinegar is also a great treatment for strep throat and it will start showing results in 30 minutes after trying it. Simply gargle with apple cider vinegar diluted in a glass with warm water or sip it throughout the day if you can handle the taste.
- Next to the apple cider vinegar, the Cayenne pepper is another miraculous home remedy for strep throat. Mix some Cayenne powder in water and gargle with it, or simply put the powder on the back of your throat and rub with a brush. You can also mix the pepper with organic honey and apply the mixture on your tonsils and you will shortly notice the improvement of your state.
- Garlic is also very efficient in soothing the strep throat if you mix it with honey and lemon juice and apply the paste on the back of your throat.
- Cold foods and drinks like frozen yoghurt, ice tea or ice cream have a soothing effect on the throat, as well as soft foods like purees and mashed potatoes. Avoid hard and spicy foods and try to stay in bed and get as much rest as possible in order to feel better soon.